Empowering everyone (not just managers) to take on change
15 Aug 2013
Viral change is an interesting idea for if orgnisations are to empower everyone in an organisation to deal with change, and indeed welcome and champion it, then viral change has much to recommend it.
Traditional change programmes promote top-down change solutions. And while leadership sponsorship is key to the success of change in an organisation, ‘viral change’ can be spread quickly and efficiently not by a top-down, push from management but by the behaviours of individuals and small groups. It is change as a ‘pull’ effect, a ‘social contagion’, where leaders provide the back-stage support.
There are 5 principles of viral change:
- There can be no change without behavioural change
- Peer-to-peer influence – this is far more influential than talks from board members
- Informal social networks – change does not occur through committee meetings
- Stories – these spread change and must be positive
- Leadership – ‘backstage’ & ‘distributive’ leadership supports employees
For more on Lequin’s change management training experience go to http://www.lequin.co.uk/what-we-deliver/change-management
Who are Lequin Leadership Development?
Lequin Leadership Development provide executive coaches, business coaches, executive business coaching, coach training courses, coach training, coaching skills for managers, coaching culture programmes, board coaching, outplacement support, executive coach, coach supervision, executive coaching, talent management, change management, change management training, leadership coaching and leadership development.